Selenium Forum: Functional And Regression Testing Tool.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search
Display results as :
Advanced Search
Latest topics
AEM Training | Free Online DemoWed Apr 21, 2021 5:45 pmazharuddin
c# PageFactory - issue initializing elementsFri Nov 01, 2019 8:40 pmthegoatboy
Selenium making automatic connection to random urlsMon Jul 08, 2019 12:58 pmrepairtechsolutions1
How can we design the custom framework in Selenium RCMon Jun 24, 2019 2:26 pmrandybonnettes
What are the new features in Selenium 3.0Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:37 pmpappyvicky
What are you using Selenium for? Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:52 amzhl
LIMITATIONS OF SELENIUMWed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 amswara
Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search

Go down
Mean

Using Selenium RC on server without browser? Empty Using Selenium RC on server without browser?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:25 pm
Hi guys,

I want to automate testing using selenium and therefore I put my java written web applications on my server in the internet, selenium server, too, write my tests on my pc local, deploy them and want to start them on my server - so I can also use a cronjob saying: every night, 2 o'clock they get executed.

Now my question: Do I have to install a web browser on my server? Or does it also work without it anyway? I know selenium 2 can do so because of using webdriver, but what about selenium rc? Is there a possibility?

Thanks and best regards,

Felix
metman
Amateur
Amateur

Using Selenium RC on server without browser? Empty Re: Using Selenium RC on server without browser?

Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:52 pm
RC needs the browser, as it drives everything through Javascript, and doesn't emulate a browser itself. However, browsing the selenium 2.0 and webdriver documentation, it sounds like some implementations using those packages will require having broswers installed as well, they just won't actually run in a browser window.
Mean

Using Selenium RC on server without browser? Empty Re: Using Selenium RC on server without browser?

Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:54 am
Hi metman,

thanks for your repsonse. So, there's noch chance to use Selenium on a server and execute the tests only on the server without installing a browser on it?!

I didn't inform me that much about Selenium 2.0, so I didn't know, that there is probably a need for a browser.

Thanks and best regards,

Felix
metman
Amateur
Amateur

Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:53 am
Selenium isn't a broswer emulator, it just leverages JS to essentially hack in to an existing browser and execute actions through the broswer's engine. Put another way, it is a broswer driver, not a browser itself. Given that, no, it doesn't support what you are hoping.
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum